We are honored to have Kerri Taylor w/ UnBound Houston, as our Guest Speaker at our regularly scheduled monthly meeting time on Tuesday, July 21st at the Harris County Clear Lake Park Recreation Building, 5001 NASA Road 1, Seabrook,TX 77586-5305.
“Houston, Texas, the fourth largest city in the U.S., is a major hub of human trafficking.
I-10, one of our major interstates, is considered the no. 1 route for human trafficking in the U.S. We have one of the most international communities in the country, a major entry point for immigrants and a huge population of vulnerable youth, like runaways and homeless. It breaks our hearts to see our city working as a breeding ground for slavery.
In response, UnBound Houston has mobilized Project Teams in the Houston Bay Area and beyond with specific focus on awareness and advocacy to fight sex trafficking. We do that through:
1. Prayer – We believe prayer is an essential weapon in this fight. Through prayer, we seek freedom for captives, understanding and insight into the local issues and ways to combat slavery. We also pray for opportunities to join hands with other anti-trafficking organizations, community leaders and churches to see an end to human trafficking in the Houston Area.
2. First Offender Prostitution Prevention Program (FOPP) / John School – We’re working to help implement this one-day school offered to first offenders arrested for solicitation as a pre-trial diversion. The program brings awareness to the legal, physical and mental risks involved as well as the way solicitation drives the demand for sex trafficking.
3. Trafficking Awareness Education – We offer insightful, informative presentations specifically targeting three distinct audiences: school-age youth, college/young adults and adult/civic organizations to help prevent and identify sex trafficking.
4. Porn’s Impact on Trafficking and Families – Recognizing that pornography drives sex trafficking, UnBound Houston seeks opportunities to educate students and adults about the need to decrease demand as well as bring awareness regarding the physical and psychological effects of pornography on self and family.
5. Dominican Republic – The D.R. is now the world’s third largest sex-tourism destination. As Dominicans have begun to recognize the need for education, UnBound has been invited to work alongside them to bring awareness and needed resources to the island nation.”
Social begins at 6:30 p.m. to allow our meeting to begin promptly at 7:00 p.m.
We hope you can join us!